post World War Two Pacific had five tropical storm warning units (fig 2).
The Air Force had it's primary center at the Tokyo Weather Center, and a smaller detachment located at Andersen AFB with the 54th WRS, each having typhoon warning responsibilities for Air Force and Army installations in the Pacific.
The Navy had weather centrals at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; Nimitz Hill, Guam; and Sangley Point, Philippines, with tropical cyclone warning responsibility for Navy Forces and installations west of 160°W.
At this time the Air Force transitioned from the B-24
to the WB-29 (fig 3).
Fig 3. The WB-29 assumed the Typhoon reconnaissance role in 1947.